Wednesday 18 April 2018

Janeville, 1909-1912


Spent all morning buried up to my neck in the old Peter Hart property just west of Orleans (coming up soon, limestone-related). My eyes were bugging out of my head, so I did this to change things up. Yeah, right.

Didn't realize I had these Janeville maps in my Goad folder, thought I'd try to merge them just for the halibut. Had to shrink sheet 164 to make it match up with 165, but the results aren't too shabby, at least not compared to what someone with scissors and glue did to #165 over 100 years ago.

In 1908, the communities of Janeville, Clarkstown and Clandeboye were joined to form the village of Eastview. In 1913, Eastview (now Vanier) was incorporated as a town, so we shouldn't be surprised to find the names "Janeville" and "Eastview" coexisting in this little patchwork.

Speaking of "little", I think you'll find that if you click on the image, then right-click to "view image" and then use the magnifying cursor to enlarge that... Blogger will actually let you see an almost usefully large version. Which you can use in your own research.

I'd say all sorts of clever things about stuff on the map but I'm just getting over my second case of flu this winter (fuck you, fucking "flu shot" — take those quotes and put them "you know where") and if I talk any more I'll have a coughing fit and give myself a hernia. You know where.